Call us for a free consultation.

Our Blog

3 of the Most Common Ways to Obtain a Green Card in the U.S.

3 of the Most Common Ways to Obtain a Green Card in the U.S.

A Green Card allows immigrants to live and work permanently in the U.S. Although the process for obtaining a Green Card is often complex, there are several avenues available for people who wish to become legal residents in the U.S. One of the keys to successfully obtaining naturalization or citizenship in the U.S. is working with an experienced Florida immigration attorney. For reference, we have created a list of 3 of the most common ways to obtain a Green Card in the U.S.

Family Based Immigration

There are many cases where a person is eligible to receive a Green Card, based on whether a member of his/her family is a U.S. citizen. Some examples include:

• A foreign national who is married to a U.S. citizen
• A recent widow or widower of a U.S. citizen
• A parent of a U.S. citizen that is over the age of 21
• An unmarried child, under the age of 21, who has at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen

Employment Based Immigration

Another common way that a person is able to attain a Green Card is based on his/her employment including, but not limited to:

• A manager who is in charge of an essential department in his/her company
• A foreign national who has received acclaim, either nationally or internationally, for achievements in the Arts, Athletics, Education, Sciences, or Business
• An executive of a multinational company managing organizations within the U.S.
• An immediate family member of someone who meets the criteria of an employment based Green Card

Green Card Lottery

Some people end up receiving their status in the U.S. from being chosen in the Green Card Lottery. The Green Card Lottery, or Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, is an annual drawing in which 55,000 Green Cards are given out to entrants from selected countries. These entrants are chosen randomly by a computer and must meet either an education or experience requirement to qualify.

If one of these situations applies to you, contact an immigration attorney at the Law Office of John K. Turner for a free consultation.